Mar 26, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bad news Wednesday night out of Giants camp.
According to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt will be shut down for the next 10-15 days with a sprained MCL in his right knee. That means that he will open the 2014 regular season on the 15-day disabled list.
Affeldt posted an underwhelming 3.74 ERA and 5.6 K/9 in 33 2/3 innings last year before suffering a July groin strain that lingered into September. He had a 2.66 ERA and 8.0 K/9 in 125 innings the two years prior and landed a three-year, $18 million contract from the Giants in November 2012. Affeldt had allowed seven earned runs in six frames this spring.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)