Mar 26, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bad news Wednesday night out of Giants camp.
According to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt will be shut down for the next 10-15 days with a sprained MCL in his right knee. That means that he will open the 2014 regular season on the 15-day disabled list.
Affeldt posted an underwhelming 3.74 ERA and 5.6 K/9 in 33 2/3 innings last year before suffering a July groin strain that lingered into September. He had a 2.66 ERA and 8.0 K/9 in 125 innings the two years prior and landed a three-year, $18 million contract from the Giants in November 2012. Affeldt had allowed seven earned runs in six frames this spring.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 17
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)