Mar 26, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle has a good article up today about the Astros’ bullpen situation. Specifically, who will do what, whether it will be a “closer by committee,” what, exactly, that often-misused term means and comments from the various folks involved in the Astros’ bullpen about it all.
The best comment, by far, comes from manager Bo Porter, who handles the usual objection to closer-by-committee setups — pitchers like to have defined roles and hate to be jerked around — thusly:
“You know what your role is? When your phone rings and your name’s called, go get people out,” Porter said. “That’s your role. That’s why you’re in the bullpen.”
I love Bo Porter.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11