Mar 26, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
Royals catcher Salvador Perez was lifted from Wednesday’s Cactus League game against the Padres after taking a pitch off his batting helmet. He laid on the ground for over a minute in what looked like a potentially serious situation, but the early updates out of Arizona have been promising.
A club trainer told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star that the pitch struck Perez near the back of his left ear and deemed it a “non-concussive head impact.” The Royals may run some tests to be sure, but it sounds as though their star 23-year-old catcher will be ready for the start of the 2014 regular season.
Perez, for what it’s worth, said after Wednesday’s game that he felt “fine.”
He batted .292/.323/.433 with 13 home runs and 79 RBI in 138 games last season.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11