Mar 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Last week Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reported that outfielder Starling Marte had turned down multiple long-term contract extension offers from the Pirates, but now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides have agreed to a six-year, $31 million deal.
Marte is still another year away from arbitration eligibility and under the Pirates’ control through 2018 already, so because the six-year contract technically begins this season it would buy out his first year of free agency. According to Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio the contract also includes two team options.
After a 47-game debut in 2012 he became a regular for Pittsburgh last season and hit .280 with 12 homers, 41 stolen bases, and a .784 OPS in 135 games, along with very good defense in left field. Marte has a ton of long-term potential, especially if he can improve upon his awful plate discipline and strike zone control after posting a 138/25 K/BB ratio in 2013. Even while hacking away at everything he ranked among the most valuable all-around outfielders in the league as a 24-year-old.
Pittsburgh has reigning MVP center fielder Andrew McCutchen locked up through 2018 and stud right field prospect Gregory Polanco waiting in the wings at Triple-A, so the Pirates should be set (and very good) for a long time.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)