Mar 27, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Released by the Nationals earlier this week, Chris Young has signed with the Mariners. And unlike most of these scenarios Young is actually getting a major-league deal and a spot in Seattle’s starting rotation.
Young is coming back from thoracic outlet syndrome and didn’t pitch in the majors at all last season, but he was relatively effective for the Mets in 2012 and the 6-foot-10 right-hander pitched decently in Nationals camp this spring.
Seattle planned to have Hisashi Iwakuma and Taijuan Walker in the rotation as No. 2 and No. 3 starters, but both right-handers will instead begin the season on the disabled list. Their return timetables are basically Young’s window of opportunity to impress.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)