Mar 28, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Everyone’s optimistic until the season starts, then the old injuries and uncertainties ooze back in. Guys who “felt great” in February and early March start the season on the DL. Guys who had that optimistic story about their comeback featured back then fall back into the same ruts they were in before.
“I’m not trusting that the wrist is healthy,’’ Teixeira told The Post Thursday at Steinbrenner Field.
“I’m just trying to protect it,’’ he said. “Taking your ‘A’ swing, taking that swing that is 100 percent and I need to trust that I can do that and not feel pain. I need to finish my swing instead of protecting my wrist. Last year, to protect my wrist, I didn’t finish my swing.’’
He says he feels good, but that he’s still not confident enough to take full swings. Anyone want to bet against this turning into “he doesn’t feel good” sometime in April? Or a DL stint soon thereafter? One hopes not, but that lowering-of-confidence-and-expectations pattern we so often see with players returning from injuries looks a lot like this.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)