Mar 28, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Everyone’s optimistic until the season starts, then the old injuries and uncertainties ooze back in. Guys who “felt great” in February and early March start the season on the DL. Guys who had that optimistic story about their comeback featured back then fall back into the same ruts they were in before.
“I’m not trusting that the wrist is healthy,’’ Teixeira told The Post Thursday at Steinbrenner Field.
“I’m just trying to protect it,’’ he said. “Taking your ‘A’ swing, taking that swing that is 100 percent and I need to trust that I can do that and not feel pain. I need to finish my swing instead of protecting my wrist. Last year, to protect my wrist, I didn’t finish my swing.’’
He says he feels good, but that he’s still not confident enough to take full swings. Anyone want to bet against this turning into “he doesn’t feel good” sometime in April? Or a DL stint soon thereafter? One hopes not, but that lowering-of-confidence-and-expectations pattern we so often see with players returning from injuries looks a lot like this.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)