Mar 29, 2014, 4:23 PM EST
Mark Lowe failed to make the Opening Day roster for the Rays despite an excellent spring and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the right-hander has agreed to a minor league contract with the Indians.
Lowe posted an 0.87 ERA and 12/1 K/BB ratio as a non-roster invitee with Tampa Bay during Grapefruit League play. The 30-year-old opted for free agency this week after he was informed that he did not win a roster spot.
Lowe battled through injuries and ineffectiveness with the Angels and Nationals last season, but he was a useful reliever with the Rangers from 2011-2012. Even though he appears bound for Triple-A Columbus, he has a chance to contribute in Cleveland’s bullpen this season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 221
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (220)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)