Mar 30, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports wrote in January that the Dodgers and shortstop Hanley Ramirez were in the “early stages” of contract extension negotiations and Ramirez told the Los Angeles media in mid-February that he wants to be a “Dodger for life.”
But the start of the regular season is upon us and Ramirez — who can become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series — is officially in his walk year. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tried to get details about the failed (or perhaps ongoing) contract talks this weekend from Ramirez and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. No dice …
Ramirez declined to say whether he and the Dodgers are discussing a new deal.
“I’m just playing baseball,” he said.
He also declined to say whether he would halt negotiations when the season starts, as some players do.
“Nice talking to you,” he said.
Ramirez said he wants to remain with the Dodgers.
General Manager Ned Colletti declined to discuss the status of negotiations but said the team remains interested in signing Ramirez.
“Of course,” Colletti said.
Ramirez, 30, batted .345/.402/.638 with 20 homers, 57 RBI, and 10 steals in 86 games last season.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 11
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 50
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)