Mar 30, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports wrote in January that the Dodgers and shortstop Hanley Ramirez were in the “early stages” of contract extension negotiations and Ramirez told the Los Angeles media in mid-February that he wants to be a “Dodger for life.”
But the start of the regular season is upon us and Ramirez — who can become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series — is officially in his walk year. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tried to get details about the failed (or perhaps ongoing) contract talks this weekend from Ramirez and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. No dice …
Ramirez declined to say whether he and the Dodgers are discussing a new deal.
“I’m just playing baseball,” he said.
He also declined to say whether he would halt negotiations when the season starts, as some players do.
“Nice talking to you,” he said.
Ramirez said he wants to remain with the Dodgers.
General Manager Ned Colletti declined to discuss the status of negotiations but said the team remains interested in signing Ramirez.
“Of course,” Colletti said.
Ramirez, 30, batted .345/.402/.638 with 20 homers, 57 RBI, and 10 steals in 86 games last season.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)