Mar 30, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is reporting that the Indians have signed catcher George Kottaras to a minor league deal. He adds that there is a “seemingly good chance” for him to join the big league club soon. At the moment, third baseman Carlos Santana is the back-up to Yan Gomes behind the plate in Cleveland.
Kottaras participated in spring training with the Cubs, who purchased him from the Royals back in November. However, the Cubs released him on Wednesday.
Kottaras, 30, has a career .730 OPS in 820 career plate appearances over seven seasons in the big leagues.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)