Mar 30, 2014, 10:40 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is reporting that the Indians have signed catcher George Kottaras to a minor league deal. He adds that there is a “seemingly good chance” for him to join the big league club soon. At the moment, third baseman Carlos Santana is the back-up to Yan Gomes behind the plate in Cleveland.
Kottaras participated in spring training with the Cubs, who purchased him from the Royals back in November. However, the Cubs released him on Wednesday.
Kottaras, 30, has a career .730 OPS in 820 career plate appearances over seven seasons in the big leagues.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)