Mar 30, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Dodgers signed lefty Paul Maholm to a one-year, $1.5 million deal in February, but they have no room for him in the starting rotation. Steve Dilbeck of the L.A. Times reports that the Dodgers have awarded that spot to right-hander Josh Beckett.
Neither Maholm nor Beckett pitched much during the spring and neither had remarkable results as well. Beckett had thoracic outlet surgery and suffered a relatively minor thumb injury during the spring, but there was doubt as to his ability to be ready to come off of the disabled list at his first point of eligibility on April 4. Manager Don Mattingly thinks Beckett will be ready:
“We feel like Josh will be ready to pitch,” Mattingly said. “He’s held up pretty good. He threw five innings the other night.
“We would prefer for him to be built up a little further, but if he absolutely had to pitch, we think he’s going to be a guy that by the time he’s eligible, could help us.”
The Dodgers will use Maholm out of the bullpen, it seems. According to J.P. Hoornstra, the Dodgers have listed him as a bullpen option on the lineup sheet in the clubhouse. However, if Clayton Kershaw has to miss more time with his back issue — ESPN’s Buster Olney says that Kershaw’s injury is the same as Jurickson Profar‘s, and Profar will miss 10-12 weeks — then Maholm could return to the rotation.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)