Apr 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
A day after the cheers and boos given to Ryan Braun and Barry Bonds made everyone think about the ethics of fandom, Andy Martino of the Daily News gives us a heads up about what went on in New York yesterday: the mayor was booed.
Which, sure, no worries at all. Every politician is going to get a lot of boos in that situation, especially one who hasn’t made a lot of folks happy, which from what I can tell, describes New York Mayor de Blasio. But as Martino points out, there was a slight wrinkle to this:
The problem this time? De Blasio was accompanied on the mound by six small children affected by the recent East Harlem explosion. Nice job, people, giving those kids a nice memory. Lovely.
I’m guessing that since it was Opening Day and people started drinking at, like, 8am, many didn’t realize who was out there with the mayor. But I’m guessing some did too and didn’t really care.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)