Apr 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
A day after the cheers and boos given to Ryan Braun and Barry Bonds made everyone think about the ethics of fandom, Andy Martino of the Daily News gives us a heads up about what went on in New York yesterday: the mayor was booed.
Which, sure, no worries at all. Every politician is going to get a lot of boos in that situation, especially one who hasn’t made a lot of folks happy, which from what I can tell, describes New York Mayor de Blasio. But as Martino points out, there was a slight wrinkle to this:
The problem this time? De Blasio was accompanied on the mound by six small children affected by the recent East Harlem explosion. Nice job, people, giving those kids a nice memory. Lovely.
I’m guessing that since it was Opening Day and people started drinking at, like, 8am, many didn’t realize who was out there with the mayor. But I’m guessing some did too and didn’t really care.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 38
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)