Apr 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EST
A day after the cheers and boos given to Ryan Braun and Barry Bonds made everyone think about the ethics of fandom, Andy Martino of the Daily News gives us a heads up about what went on in New York yesterday: the mayor was booed.
Which, sure, no worries at all. Every politician is going to get a lot of boos in that situation, especially one who hasn’t made a lot of folks happy, which from what I can tell, describes New York Mayor de Blasio. But as Martino points out, there was a slight wrinkle to this:
The problem this time? De Blasio was accompanied on the mound by six small children affected by the recent East Harlem explosion. Nice job, people, giving those kids a nice memory. Lovely.
I’m guessing that since it was Opening Day and people started drinking at, like, 8am, many didn’t realize who was out there with the mayor. But I’m guessing some did too and didn’t really care.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)