Apr 1, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Nunez was never actually a very good bet to become the Yankees’ long-term solution at shortstop, which some jerks liked to point out on the internet in 2011. Still, it’s somewhat surprising that New York is cutting bait completely considering he’s been a semi-regular as a utility man.
However, he can’t play defense well enough for shortstop and can’t hit well enough for third base, batting .267 with 10 homers and a .692 OPS in 827 career plate appearances through age 26. Yangervis Solarte is the Yankees’ new utility man with Brendan Ryan hurt and Nunez is likely headed to the waiver wire.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)