Apr 2, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
From Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas comes word that Rangers left-hander Derek Holland threw a 25-pitch bullpen session on Wednesday afternoon at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas — his first time atop a mound since he underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee back on January 10.
It was a nice first step for Holland, who is expected to be sidelined until the middle of the 2014 season.
The 25-year-old southpaw posted a strong 3.42 ERA (120 ERA+), 1.286 WHIP, and 189 strikeouts in 213 innings last season for the Rangers. He signed a five-year, $28 million contract extension with Texas in March 2012.
Holland injured his knee this winter when his dog ran into him on a staircase at his home.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 0
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)