Apr 2, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Ian Kinsler is making himself a lot of friends in Detroit. In his second game as a Tiger, Kinsler knocked in both of the Tigers’ runs via a fourth inning solo home run and a walkoff single in the 10th to give the Tigers a 2-1 win over Kansas City.
After Max Scherzer tossed eight shutout innings and Royals starter Jason Vargas allowed only one run in seven, the bullpens were big factors in this one. First up was new Tigers closer Joe Nathan, who allowed a single and then walked two to load the bases and then allowed a sac fly to send the game into extra innings. In the 10th, Ned Yost decided to go with Tim Collins even though Greg Holland was fresh, having only faced one batter two days ago. Collins walked two and then gave up the game-winning hit to Kinsler. Or game-losing, depending on your point of view.
So, two games between the Tigers and Royals and two games where Ned Yost’s bullpen usage played a big role (on Monday Yost went with Wade Davis to start a tied ninth inning and only called on Holland once two men were on base).
The bullpen is supposed to be the Royals’ greatest strength, but Yost is doing his best to neutralize that in the early going.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)