Apr 2, 2014, 9:37 AM EST
Fox’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Rays have agreed to six-year contract with pitcher Chris Archer “in the range of” $25 million. The deal begins this season and goes through 2019, with club options for 2020 and 2021. Marc Topkin reports that the specific amount is $25.5 million. Jeff Passan reports that the two club options total around $20M. Thus, if both options are exercised, the total deal will be for eight years and about $45M.
Archer, 25, is entering his third big league season and his second full one. He’s 10-10 with a 3.47 ERA with 137 strikeouts and 51 walks in 158 innings. Of his 29 career games, 27 have come as a starter.
Assuming Archer even comes close to his potential and stays reasonably healthy this will be a bargain for the Rays.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)