Apr 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Sometimes the folks stationed down the lines — historically called “ball girls,” but I can’t say I’m a big fan of that name given that when they’re female they’re usually women, not girls — don’t have the best defensive chops. They get the job done as far as picking up the foul rollers, handing them to kids in the seats nearby and getting the heck out of the way on pop fouls on which fielders may have a play, but you don’t often see them catching the hot shots.
Well, two games into the season and we’ve seen two pretty sweet plays from the ball girls at Petco Park in San Diego. Here is the one from Opening Day:
And here is one from last night. Different Ball Person:
So far on the year they’re better than the Giants’ defense.
Now, that name. “Ball women?” That doesn’t sound great either. We need a new name.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 100
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)