Apr 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Sometimes the folks stationed down the lines — historically called “ball girls,” but I can’t say I’m a big fan of that name given that when they’re female they’re usually women, not girls — don’t have the best defensive chops. They get the job done as far as picking up the foul rollers, handing them to kids in the seats nearby and getting the heck out of the way on pop fouls on which fielders may have a play, but you don’t often see them catching the hot shots.
Well, two games into the season and we’ve seen two pretty sweet plays from the ball girls at Petco Park in San Diego. Here is the one from Opening Day:
And here is one from last night. Different Ball Person:
So far on the year they’re better than the Giants’ defense.
Now, that name. “Ball women?” That doesn’t sound great either. We need a new name.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)