Apr 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Sometimes the folks stationed down the lines — historically called “ball girls,” but I can’t say I’m a big fan of that name given that when they’re female they’re usually women, not girls — don’t have the best defensive chops. They get the job done as far as picking up the foul rollers, handing them to kids in the seats nearby and getting the heck out of the way on pop fouls on which fielders may have a play, but you don’t often see them catching the hot shots.
Well, two games into the season and we’ve seen two pretty sweet plays from the ball girls at Petco Park in San Diego. Here is the one from Opening Day:
And here is one from last night. Different Ball Person:
So far on the year they’re better than the Giants’ defense.
Now, that name. “Ball women?” That doesn’t sound great either. We need a new name.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69