Apr 2, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Sometimes the folks stationed down the lines — historically called “ball girls,” but I can’t say I’m a big fan of that name given that when they’re female they’re usually women, not girls — don’t have the best defensive chops. They get the job done as far as picking up the foul rollers, handing them to kids in the seats nearby and getting the heck out of the way on pop fouls on which fielders may have a play, but you don’t often see them catching the hot shots.
Well, two games into the season and we’ve seen two pretty sweet plays from the ball girls at Petco Park in San Diego. Here is the one from Opening Day:
And here is one from last night. Different Ball Person:
So far on the year they’re better than the Giants’ defense.
Now, that name. “Ball women?” That doesn’t sound great either. We need a new name.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 34
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 90
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)