Apr 2, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Yu Darvish was scratched from his scheduled Opening Day start and placed on the disabled list with a neck injury, but T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers right-hander will come off the shelf Sunday against the Rays.
That means Darvish will end up missing just one start and steps back into the rotation in his normal spot, which also suggests fill-in Opening Day starter Tanner Scheppers could be headed back to the bullpen after a brutal first career big-league start.
Darvish threw an 86-pitch bullpen session Tuesday to prepare for the post-DL start, so he should be relatively stretched out in terms of a pitch count.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)