Apr 2, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Yu Darvish was scratched from his scheduled Opening Day start and placed on the disabled list with a neck injury, but T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers right-hander will come off the shelf Sunday against the Rays.
That means Darvish will end up missing just one start and steps back into the rotation in his normal spot, which also suggests fill-in Opening Day starter Tanner Scheppers could be headed back to the bullpen after a brutal first career big-league start.
Darvish threw an 86-pitch bullpen session Tuesday to prepare for the post-DL start, so he should be relatively stretched out in terms of a pitch count.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20