Apr 3, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
This is the sort of thing that (a) you can’t exactly say is based in medical certainty; and (b) you know Major League Baseball doesn’t want players saying regardless, given how much juice they put behind their international opening series initiative. From the L.A. Times:
The Dodgers shortened their spring-training camp to the facilitate the trip, something one player blamed for Kershaw and Wilson’s health issues. The player, who did not want to be named, pointed out how the Arizona Diamondbacks, the other team that went to Australia, have also lost their No. 1 starter and setup man. The injuries to Patrick Corbin and David Hernandez of the Diamondbacks were severe; both recently underwent major elbow operations.
The Corbin case is particularly noteworthy, for it is the first time a major league pitcher has ever had to have Tommy John surgery in the history of baseball.
OK, to be fair, Dodgers pitching coach Rick Honeycutt was critical of how little time his pitchers were given to prepare for the season, and that could be a legitimate gripe. It’s at least something baseball should take a hard look at before scheduling overseas series in March again. That said, to the extent we’re actually attributing the injuries to the Australia trip with anything approaching certainty, we’re way off into crazy speculation land.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)