Apr 5, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have given contract extensions to manager Clint Hurdle and general manager Neal Huntington. Both are now signed through 2017 with club options for 2018.
Here’s part of the announcement from Pirates President Frank Coonelly:
“Neal and Clint have led a team of baseball professionals, in the front office and on the field, that has transformed the Pittsburgh Pirates into a club that again must be reckoned with in the National League,” said Coonelly. “We are extremely pleased that they will continue to lead this team in Pittsburgh.”
“I have a tremendous amount of personal respect and appreciation for the impact that Neal, Clint and their staffs have had on our organization,” said Pirates Chairman Bob Nutting. “My expectation has been and remains that they, led by Frank, will continue to play a lead role in our success for years to come.”
Hard to say it’s not deserved, as the good feelings are flowing in Pittsburgh after a 94-win season and the team’s first postseason appearance since 1992.
Huntington has been senior vice president and general manager of the Pirates since September of 2007. There have been some lean times for the franchise, but the hard work his begun to pay dividends, with exciting young players on the major league roster and a strong farm system in place. Hurdle has been manager of the Pirates since the 2011 season and owns a 248-242 record (.506 winning percentage) at the helm.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)