Apr 5, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have given contract extensions to manager Clint Hurdle and general manager Neal Huntington. Both are now signed through 2017 with club options for 2018.
Here’s part of the announcement from Pirates President Frank Coonelly:
“Neal and Clint have led a team of baseball professionals, in the front office and on the field, that has transformed the Pittsburgh Pirates into a club that again must be reckoned with in the National League,” said Coonelly. “We are extremely pleased that they will continue to lead this team in Pittsburgh.”
“I have a tremendous amount of personal respect and appreciation for the impact that Neal, Clint and their staffs have had on our organization,” said Pirates Chairman Bob Nutting. “My expectation has been and remains that they, led by Frank, will continue to play a lead role in our success for years to come.”
Hard to say it’s not deserved, as the good feelings are flowing in Pittsburgh after a 94-win season and the team’s first postseason appearance since 1992.
Huntington has been senior vice president and general manager of the Pirates since September of 2007. There have been some lean times for the franchise, but the hard work his begun to pay dividends, with exciting young players on the major league roster and a strong farm system in place. Hurdle has been manager of the Pirates since the 2011 season and owns a 248-242 record (.506 winning percentage) at the helm.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 160
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)