Apr 5, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
What the heck is going on in Miami? The Marlins stayed hot last night, pounding out 13 hits in an 8-2 victory over the Padres. They are now 4-1 on the young season.
I’m sure you saw Giancarlo Stanton‘s monster home run against Eric Stults. If you haven’t, watch this. I mean it. But the Marlins also got four hits from the red-hot Adeiny Hechavarria out of the leadoff spot and three hits out of offseason acquisition Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Casey McGehee knocked in two more runs and currently leads the majors with 10 RBI. Not bad for a guy who didn’t play in MLB last season.
The Marlins have scored 35 runs over their first five games this season, more than anybody else in the majors. It took them until their 17th game last season to reach 35 runs scored. They surely can’t continue at this torrid pace, but it’s a nice start for a team who some feel could hop over both the Phillies and the Mets in the National League East this year.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners/Athletics – PPD
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)