Apr 5, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
What the heck is going on in Miami? The Marlins stayed hot last night, pounding out 13 hits in an 8-2 victory over the Padres. They are now 4-1 on the young season.
I’m sure you saw Giancarlo Stanton‘s monster home run against Eric Stults. If you haven’t, watch this. I mean it. But the Marlins also got four hits from the red-hot Adeiny Hechavarria out of the leadoff spot and three hits out of offseason acquisition Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Casey McGehee knocked in two more runs and currently leads the majors with 10 RBI. Not bad for a guy who didn’t play in MLB last season.
The Marlins have scored 35 runs over their first five games this season, more than anybody else in the majors. It took them until their 17th game last season to reach 35 runs scored. They surely can’t continue at this torrid pace, but it’s a nice start for a team who some feel could hop over both the Phillies and the Mets in the National League East this year.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners/Athletics – PPD
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 7
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)