Apr 5, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
What the heck is going on in Miami? The Marlins stayed hot last night, pounding out 13 hits in an 8-2 victory over the Padres. They are now 4-1 on the young season.
I’m sure you saw Giancarlo Stanton‘s monster home run against Eric Stults. If you haven’t, watch this. I mean it. But the Marlins also got four hits from the red-hot Adeiny Hechavarria out of the leadoff spot and three hits out of offseason acquisition Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Casey McGehee knocked in two more runs and currently leads the majors with 10 RBI. Not bad for a guy who didn’t play in MLB last season.
The Marlins have scored 35 runs over their first five games this season, more than anybody else in the majors. It took them until their 17th game last season to reach 35 runs scored. They surely can’t continue at this torrid pace, but it’s a nice start for a team who some feel could hop over both the Phillies and the Mets in the National League East this year.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners/Athletics – PPD
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)