Apr 5, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
What the heck is going on in Miami? The Marlins stayed hot last night, pounding out 13 hits in an 8-2 victory over the Padres. They are now 4-1 on the young season.
I’m sure you saw Giancarlo Stanton‘s monster home run against Eric Stults. If you haven’t, watch this. I mean it. But the Marlins also got four hits from the red-hot Adeiny Hechavarria out of the leadoff spot and three hits out of offseason acquisition Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Casey McGehee knocked in two more runs and currently leads the majors with 10 RBI. Not bad for a guy who didn’t play in MLB last season.
The Marlins have scored 35 runs over their first five games this season, more than anybody else in the majors. It took them until their 17th game last season to reach 35 runs scored. They surely can’t continue at this torrid pace, but it’s a nice start for a team who some feel could hop over both the Phillies and the Mets in the National League East this year.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners/Athletics – PPD
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)