Apr 5, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
What the heck is going on in Miami? The Marlins stayed hot last night, pounding out 13 hits in an 8-2 victory over the Padres. They are now 4-1 on the young season.
I’m sure you saw Giancarlo Stanton‘s monster home run against Eric Stults. If you haven’t, watch this. I mean it. But the Marlins also got four hits from the red-hot Adeiny Hechavarria out of the leadoff spot and three hits out of offseason acquisition Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Casey McGehee knocked in two more runs and currently leads the majors with 10 RBI. Not bad for a guy who didn’t play in MLB last season.
The Marlins have scored 35 runs over their first five games this season, more than anybody else in the majors. It took them until their 17th game last season to reach 35 runs scored. They surely can’t continue at this torrid pace, but it’s a nice start for a team who some feel could hop over both the Phillies and the Mets in the National League East this year.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners/Athletics – PPD
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)