Apr 6, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Ryan Braun acknowledged to reporters Friday that the lingering numbness in his right thumb is affecting both his throws and swings, and he was out of the Brewers’ starting lineup on Saturday night against the Red Sox. But he will try to give it a go in Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Fenway Park.
Braun is batting third and playing right field.
Undergoing surgery is not currently a consideration and Braun is hoping to find a form of daily treatment or protective padding that will allow him to play through the thumb injury. Here’s how he described the feeling to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
“The analogy is if you touch a hot stove, no matter how badly you want to keep your hand there, the natural reaction will be to take your hand off it. That’s kind of what happens every time I make contact, when it gets bad. No matter what I want to do or try to do, I can’t keep two hands on the bat.”
That sounds like it could be a serious problem. Braun was wanting to make a good impression this season after missing the final 65 games of the 2013 campaign for his involvement in Biogenesis.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)