Apr 7, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Watching the Orioles-Yankees game. In the bottom of the fifth, Derek Jeter blasted one to left field that looked like it’d go out. Jeter thought it’d go out for sure, anyway, because he jogged out of the batters box admiring his shot. Except it didn’t go out. It hit off the top of the wall and Jeter had to turn on whatever is left of his afterburners to make second base. He made it, but it was close.
Deep thought: if Jeter is tagged out after dogging it out of the box and admiring his shot, does get lectured about the importance of hustling, a la Robinson Cano? Does he get told he needs to respect the game and play it the right way, a la Yasiel Puig? Or does it work like a bank account, where you can afford to spend a little hot dog, wild horse equity after so many years of deposits? Such a confusing topic.
Anyway, now is as good a time as any to link Dan LeBatard’s excellent article about Yasiel Puig and his very different background and very different mindset than most of his colleagues in the major leagues. No, it doesn’t excuse his lapses, but it does explain them pretty well. And it’s worth thinking about before we start lecturing people about how to play the game the right way.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)