Apr 7, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Watching the Orioles-Yankees game. In the bottom of the fifth, Derek Jeter blasted one to left field that looked like it’d go out. Jeter thought it’d go out for sure, anyway, because he jogged out of the batters box admiring his shot. Except it didn’t go out. It hit off the top of the wall and Jeter had to turn on whatever is left of his afterburners to make second base. He made it, but it was close.
Deep thought: if Jeter is tagged out after dogging it out of the box and admiring his shot, does get lectured about the importance of hustling, a la Robinson Cano? Does he get told he needs to respect the game and play it the right way, a la Yasiel Puig? Or does it work like a bank account, where you can afford to spend a little hot dog, wild horse equity after so many years of deposits? Such a confusing topic.
Anyway, now is as good a time as any to link Dan LeBatard’s excellent article about Yasiel Puig and his very different background and very different mindset than most of his colleagues in the major leagues. No, it doesn’t excuse his lapses, but it does explain them pretty well. And it’s worth thinking about before we start lecturing people about how to play the game the right way.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)