Apr 8, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Another hour, another Tommy John surgery.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Angels left-hander Brian Moran — acquired from the Blue Jays in December’s Rule 5 Draft — needs the reconstructive elbow surgery after being diagnosed with a torn ligament.
Moran has a cool 3.06 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 339 strikeouts in 288 career minor league innings and was in the competition for an Opening Day bullpen spot this spring in camp. But he had to be placed on the disabled list March 30 with inflammation in his elbow and further testing revealed the ligament tear.
Moran, 25, will be on the shelf through the early part of the 2015 campaign.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)