Apr 8, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Another hour, another Tommy John surgery.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Angels left-hander Brian Moran — acquired from the Blue Jays in December’s Rule 5 Draft — needs the reconstructive elbow surgery after being diagnosed with a torn ligament.
Moran has a cool 3.06 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 339 strikeouts in 288 career minor league innings and was in the competition for an Opening Day bullpen spot this spring in camp. But he had to be placed on the disabled list March 30 with inflammation in his elbow and further testing revealed the ligament tear.
Moran, 25, will be on the shelf through the early part of the 2015 campaign.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)