Apr 8, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Another hour, another Tommy John surgery.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Angels left-hander Brian Moran — acquired from the Blue Jays in December’s Rule 5 Draft — needs the reconstructive elbow surgery after being diagnosed with a torn ligament.
Moran has a cool 3.06 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 339 strikeouts in 288 career minor league innings and was in the competition for an Opening Day bullpen spot this spring in camp. But he had to be placed on the disabled list March 30 with inflammation in his elbow and further testing revealed the ligament tear.
Moran, 25, will be on the shelf through the early part of the 2015 campaign.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)