Apr 8, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Another hour, another Tommy John surgery.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that Angels left-hander Brian Moran — acquired from the Blue Jays in December’s Rule 5 Draft — needs the reconstructive elbow surgery after being diagnosed with a torn ligament.
Moran has a cool 3.06 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and 339 strikeouts in 288 career minor league innings and was in the competition for an Opening Day bullpen spot this spring in camp. But he had to be placed on the disabled list March 30 with inflammation in his elbow and further testing revealed the ligament tear.
Moran, 25, will be on the shelf through the early part of the 2015 campaign.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)