Apr 8, 2014, 4:23 PM EST
Colby Lewis last started a big-league game on July 18, 2012, missing the past one-and-a-half seasons following elbow and hip surgeries, but he’s ready to return now.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that Lewis will rejoin the Rangers’ rotation Saturday against the Astros, essentially taking the spot created when Joe Saunders injured his ankle while filling in for Texas’ other injured starters.
Before being derailed by surgeries Lewis was a very solid mid-rotation starter for the Rangers, tossing 506 innings–including back-to-back 200-inning seasons–with a 3.93 ERA and 8.1 strikeouts per nine innings.
It’s tough predict what Lewis is capable of after so much time off, but he allowed four runs in five innings in a minor-league rehab start Sunday at Triple-A. Two of the runs were unearned, but he issued three walks compared to two strikeouts and odds are the Rangers wouldn’t be turning to him this soon if not for other injuries wrecking their rotation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)