Apr 8, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
I can’t decide if this is brilliant or insane: ESPN is going to do a “a special reenactment” of Hank Aaron’s 715th home run tonight. Meaning a reenactment of coverage. They’re calling it Aaron 715: Live in 2014. and it’ll be done in real-time on their website:
ESPN.com will start this reenactment at 7:15 p.m. ET tonight, with photos, videos and “reports” from the now-demolished Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta. Network baseball insider Jayson Stark will even serve as an “on-site” reporter. He’ll provide updates, statistics and player reaction throughout the evening, culminating at 9:07 p.m. ET, the exact time Aaron hit the home run 40 years ago.
If Stark is dressed as a 1974 reporter than this goes a long way toward putting it in the “win” column. Absent that, though, I feel like modern crazy coverage of historic events would be sort of awful. Cutting to the Baseball Tonight crew to mouth cliches about something that is and was fantastic and superlative on its own doesn’t seem like it adds anything, for example.
I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)