Apr 8, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
Reds right-hander Mat Latos was aiming to return from his early-spring knee surgery by mid-April, but that seems highly unlikely to happen at this point.
According to beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Latos had to be scratched from a scheduled rehab start Tuesday night at Triple-A Louisville due to inflammation in his right elbow.
“Mat threw his bullpen [on Sunday] and had some irritation in his elbow,” Reds manager Bryan Price told reporters on Tuesday afternoon. “He had some inflammation and tenderness there in the elbow and he wasn’t able to get through to the point where he could pitch. We’re taking the conservative route to reschedule once we get that soreness out of there. … In the next couple of days, we should know a lot more.”
Latos allowed five runs — three earned — over four innings in his minor league rehab debut last Thursday at Double-A Pensacola. He probably won’t join the Reds’ rotation for at least another two weeks.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)