Apr 8, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
Reds right-hander Mat Latos was aiming to return from his early-spring knee surgery by mid-April, but that seems highly unlikely to happen at this point.
According to beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Latos had to be scratched from a scheduled rehab start Tuesday night at Triple-A Louisville due to inflammation in his right elbow.
“Mat threw his bullpen [on Sunday] and had some irritation in his elbow,” Reds manager Bryan Price told reporters on Tuesday afternoon. “He had some inflammation and tenderness there in the elbow and he wasn’t able to get through to the point where he could pitch. We’re taking the conservative route to reschedule once we get that soreness out of there. … In the next couple of days, we should know a lot more.”
Latos allowed five runs — three earned — over four innings in his minor league rehab debut last Thursday at Double-A Pensacola. He probably won’t join the Reds’ rotation for at least another two weeks.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 10
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)