Apr 8, 2014, 9:14 PM EST
Reds right-hander Mat Latos was aiming to return from his early-spring knee surgery by mid-April, but that seems highly unlikely to happen at this point.
According to beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Latos had to be scratched from a scheduled rehab start Tuesday night at Triple-A Louisville due to inflammation in his right elbow.
“Mat threw his bullpen [on Sunday] and had some irritation in his elbow,” Reds manager Bryan Price told reporters on Tuesday afternoon. “He had some inflammation and tenderness there in the elbow and he wasn’t able to get through to the point where he could pitch. We’re taking the conservative route to reschedule once we get that soreness out of there. … In the next couple of days, we should know a lot more.”
Latos allowed five runs — three earned — over four innings in his minor league rehab debut last Thursday at Double-A Pensacola. He probably won’t join the Reds’ rotation for at least another two weeks.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)