Apr 8, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
Reds right-hander Mat Latos was aiming to return from his early-spring knee surgery by mid-April, but that seems highly unlikely to happen at this point.
According to beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Latos had to be scratched from a scheduled rehab start Tuesday night at Triple-A Louisville due to inflammation in his right elbow.
“Mat threw his bullpen [on Sunday] and had some irritation in his elbow,” Reds manager Bryan Price told reporters on Tuesday afternoon. “He had some inflammation and tenderness there in the elbow and he wasn’t able to get through to the point where he could pitch. We’re taking the conservative route to reschedule once we get that soreness out of there. … In the next couple of days, we should know a lot more.”
Latos allowed five runs — three earned — over four innings in his minor league rehab debut last Thursday at Double-A Pensacola. He probably won’t join the Reds’ rotation for at least another two weeks.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)