Apr 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Over the weekend an MRI exam revealed no structural damage in Ryan Zimmerman‘s shoulder, but the Nationals third baseman has had shoulder problems for two years now and during a radio interview last night manager Matt Williams revealed for the first that he’s “got an arthritic shoulder.”
Answering questions from Nationals fans on 106.7-FM, Williams said:
But we have to look at Ryan, though, and say “Would I like Ryan to play third?” Yea, I would. For a long time? Yes. But the fact of the matter is, Ryan’s got an arthritic shoulder. It gives him problems, and sometimes it’s tough on him. So we’ve started to do some things at first base, with him, where we can give him a break sometimes. …
We have to curtail that just a touch to make sure that he feels good. What does that involve? Maybe it doesn’t involve as many throws. Maybe it’s cutting down on the amount of grounders he takes in pregame. I know that he looks to go down, especially when it’s cold, in the cage and throw. Maybe it’s an adjustment to that, too.
Williams made it clear that he wants Zimmerman to remain at third base for “a long time” but obviously it’s not a good sign that the Nationals are needing to do things like cut down on his pregame throwing in order to keep his shoulder issues from being a bigger factor.
Current first baseman Adam LaRoche is a free agent after this season and Zimmerman sliding across the diamond full time in 2015 seems like a very real possibility at this point. He’s in the first season of a six-year, $100 million extension.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)