Apr 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Over the weekend an MRI exam revealed no structural damage in Ryan Zimmerman‘s shoulder, but the Nationals third baseman has had shoulder problems for two years now and during a radio interview last night manager Matt Williams revealed for the first that he’s “got an arthritic shoulder.”
Answering questions from Nationals fans on 106.7-FM, Williams said:
But we have to look at Ryan, though, and say “Would I like Ryan to play third?” Yea, I would. For a long time? Yes. But the fact of the matter is, Ryan’s got an arthritic shoulder. It gives him problems, and sometimes it’s tough on him. So we’ve started to do some things at first base, with him, where we can give him a break sometimes. …
We have to curtail that just a touch to make sure that he feels good. What does that involve? Maybe it doesn’t involve as many throws. Maybe it’s cutting down on the amount of grounders he takes in pregame. I know that he looks to go down, especially when it’s cold, in the cage and throw. Maybe it’s an adjustment to that, too.
Williams made it clear that he wants Zimmerman to remain at third base for “a long time” but obviously it’s not a good sign that the Nationals are needing to do things like cut down on his pregame throwing in order to keep his shoulder issues from being a bigger factor.
Current first baseman Adam LaRoche is a free agent after this season and Zimmerman sliding across the diamond full time in 2015 seems like a very real possibility at this point. He’s in the first season of a six-year, $100 million extension.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)