Apr 9, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Jacob Turner hurt his shoulder taking batting practice prior to yesterday’s scheduled start. He was scratched from the outing against the Nationals and now the Marlins have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
Left-hander Brad Hand, who had begun the season in the bullpen, will move into the rotation to sub for Turner.
Turner showed some good promise for the Marlins last season at age 22, starting 20 games with a 3.74 ERA, although his 77/54 K/BB ratio in 118 innings was unimpressive. A former top prospect, Turner was acquired from the Tigers in the Anibal Sanchez trade.
Oh, and in terms of needing batting practice: Turner is 4-for-51 (.078) with 24 strikeouts and zero walks in his career as a hitter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 30
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 86
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)