Apr 9, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Jacob Turner hurt his shoulder taking batting practice prior to yesterday’s scheduled start. He was scratched from the outing against the Nationals and now the Marlins have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
Left-hander Brad Hand, who had begun the season in the bullpen, will move into the rotation to sub for Turner.
Turner showed some good promise for the Marlins last season at age 22, starting 20 games with a 3.74 ERA, although his 77/54 K/BB ratio in 118 innings was unimpressive. A former top prospect, Turner was acquired from the Tigers in the Anibal Sanchez trade.
Oh, and in terms of needing batting practice: Turner is 4-for-51 (.078) with 24 strikeouts and zero walks in his career as a hitter.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)