Apr 9, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Marlins right-hander Jacob Turner hurt his shoulder taking batting practice prior to yesterday’s scheduled start. He was scratched from the outing against the Nationals and now the Marlins have placed him on the disabled list with a strained shoulder.
Left-hander Brad Hand, who had begun the season in the bullpen, will move into the rotation to sub for Turner.
Turner showed some good promise for the Marlins last season at age 22, starting 20 games with a 3.74 ERA, although his 77/54 K/BB ratio in 118 innings was unimpressive. A former top prospect, Turner was acquired from the Tigers in the Anibal Sanchez trade.
Oh, and in terms of needing batting practice: Turner is 4-for-51 (.078) with 24 strikeouts and zero walks in his career as a hitter.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 0
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)