Apr 9, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
I swear to God, if I was a manager and one of my players slid head-first into first base I’d fine them back to the stone age. From Alden Gonzalez:
Angels outfielder Josh Hamilton injured his left thumb while sliding headfirst into first base in the seventh inning at Safeco Field on Tuesday night, an injury that prevented him from batting in a crucial situation in the ninth.
X-rays on Hamilton’s thumb were negative, and he’ll have an MRI today.
Asked after the game about sliding into first, Hamilton said “I shouldn’t have done it, probably, but I’m not going to say I’m not going to do it again because I’d be lying.”
Between Hamilton and Frank Thomas today is shaping up into the ultimate “ballplayers should be seen but not heard” kind of day.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)