Apr 9, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Some brutal injury news here for the Angels …
As first reported by Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, outfielder Josh Hamilton has been diagnosed with a complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb along with a torn capsule. He needs surgery and will be out for 6-8 weeks.
Hamilton suffered the injury Tuesday on an ill-advised head-first slide into the first base bag. He was off to a promising start at the plate this season, boasting a .444 batting average and 1.286 OPS through eight games played. Hamilton had a .548 OPS last April.
J.B. Shuck was called up from Triple-A Salt Lake on Wednesday night to provide outfield depth.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)