Apr 10, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
On Tuesday, Adam Jones offered some colorful comments about fans who rush out onto the field. Specifically? That the league “should let us have a shot to kick them with our metal spikes on,” that a fan who does that “looks like a jackass” that he hoped security would “tase the living s***” out of them and that he wished one fan who ran out onto the field and injured his ankle had shattered his femur instead.
That’s all pretty funny, even if Jones’ suggestions are a bit extreme. But apparently MLB is taking his comments seriously. CBS Baltimore reports that Major League Baseball is said to be “reviewing the comments.”
Which is idiotic, because all they are are comments. Comments that do no harm to anyone. Indeed, even if you looked at them with the utmost suspicion and crafted some argument that Jones’ comments may cause security at ballparks to be too rough on fans, you’d have to square that with the notion that MLB has already shown that it doesn’t care about fans being roughed up or tased for what amounts to trespassing.
If MLB does anything to Adam Jones as a result of these comments, they had better explain what, exactly, he said that is inconsistent with MLB policies or aims that require his punishment.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)