Apr 11, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
The Phillies may be in danger of losing another starting pitcher to injury. A.J. Burnett winced after throwing a pitch to Casey McGehee in the top of the fifth inning during Friday night’s start against the Marlins. After walking McGehee to load the bases, the Phillies’ trainer visited Burnett and the right-hander left the game, giving way to reliever Jake Diekman. Diekman was able to escape Burnett’s jam with two strikeouts.
Burnett’s Phillies career has not gotten off to a good start. After a successful debut in red pinstripes, Burnett walked six batters in back-to-back starts including Friday against the Marlins. Prior to the season, the last time Burnett walked six in a game was on July 18, 2011. In total, Burnett has a 3.94 ERA, but has walked 14 and struck out 10 batters in 16 innings.
We should get word on Burnett’s status soon. We’ll update you here.
Update (9:15 PM EST): Burnett exited with groin soreness, per David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News. He was taken out for precautionary reasons.
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 0
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 75
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)