Apr 11, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
The Phillies may be in danger of losing another starting pitcher to injury. A.J. Burnett winced after throwing a pitch to Casey McGehee in the top of the fifth inning during Friday night’s start against the Marlins. After walking McGehee to load the bases, the Phillies’ trainer visited Burnett and the right-hander left the game, giving way to reliever Jake Diekman. Diekman was able to escape Burnett’s jam with two strikeouts.
Burnett’s Phillies career has not gotten off to a good start. After a successful debut in red pinstripes, Burnett walked six batters in back-to-back starts including Friday against the Marlins. Prior to the season, the last time Burnett walked six in a game was on July 18, 2011. In total, Burnett has a 3.94 ERA, but has walked 14 and struck out 10 batters in 16 innings.
We should get word on Burnett’s status soon. We’ll update you here.
Update (9:15 PM EST): Burnett exited with groin soreness, per David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News. He was taken out for precautionary reasons.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)