Apr 11, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat reports that starter Jake Arrieta will need at least one more rehab start with Double-A Tennessee before rejoining the Cubs’ rotation. Arrieta showed up to spring training with a sore shoulder and has been behind schedule ever since.
Arrieta has made two rehab starts to date. On April 5, he allowed an unearned run in three innings of work. On Thursday, he tossed 3 2/3 innings of shutout baseball, striking out four and walking two.
Muskat said Cubs manager Rick Renteria received positive reports on Arrieta’s Thursday start. Once Arrieta is healthy enough to rejoin the rotation, he’ll displace Carlos Villanueva.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)