Apr 11, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Ryan Sweeney‘s game-tying RBI single in the top of the seventh inning against the Cardinals on Friday night may have seemed innocent, but it ended a rather embarrassing stretch devoid of any run support for starter Jeff Samardzija. The Cubs were shut out with Samardzija on the bump in his first two starts of the 2014 season and entering the seventh inning Friday night (a span of 20 innings). They were also shut out in his final start of the 2013 season, and did not score with him as the pitcher of record in his second to last start either.
The last time they had scored for him entering tonight’s start was on September 17, 2013 when they put up a three-spot in the seventh inning against Brewers starter Marco Estrada. Samardzija put up a zero in the bottom half of the inning and exited.
As for Friday’s start, Samardzija held the Cardinals to one run over seven innings, allowing six hits and striking out four without issuing a walk. He was the pitcher of record when the Cubs scored two more runs in the eighth inning to take a 3-1 lead. Samardzija has pitched well through his first three starts of the 2014 season, currently sitting with a 1.29 ERA.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (304)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)