Apr 12, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
The Cardinals announced this morning that they have given a two-year contract extension to senior vice president and general manager John Mozeliak. He’s now signed through 2018.
This is actually the second straight year that Mozeliak has received an extension from the Cardinals. He was given a three-year deal last February. They know a good thing when they have it.
Here’s part of the press release from the team:
“Over the last six seasons Mo has done an outstanding job leading our baseball operations,” said Cardinals Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. “By extending Mo’s contract with the club, we look forward to continuing our approach which emphasizes excellence at the Major League level, supported by a strong player procurement and player development program.”
It’s hard to think of someone more deserving. Since taking over for Walt Jocketty after the 2007 season, Mozeliak has helped make the Cardinals the model franchise for the sport. With their excellent player development system, their run of success likely isn’t coming to an end anytime soon.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)