Apr 12, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
A fan was ejected after he reached his hand out into the field of play to touch Mets outfielder Curtis Granderson during a game last night at Angel Stadium in Anaheim.
During the eighth inning, Granderson caught a fly ball in the right field corner and was about to throw the ball back into the infield before he felt a hand on his shoulder. Clearly startled, he had a brief confrontation with the fan before play resumed. You can watch the video here.
Granderson told Marc Carig of New York Newsday that he had a simple message for the fan:
“He touched me,” Granderson said. “Then I turned around and he’s like, ‘I didn’t mean to.’ I said, ‘Hey, just don’t touch me.’ So that was it. Say whatever you want to say, boo, cheer, clap, cheer for your team, cheer for the other team. But just don’t physically touch players.”
This is what happens when people forget that baseball players are actual human beings who, much like you and me, don’t like having their personal space violated. Fortunately this didn’t escalate into a more serious situation.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)