Apr 12, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
A fan was ejected after he reached his hand out into the field of play to touch Mets outfielder Curtis Granderson during a game last night at Angel Stadium in Anaheim.
During the eighth inning, Granderson caught a fly ball in the right field corner and was about to throw the ball back into the infield before he felt a hand on his shoulder. Clearly startled, he had a brief confrontation with the fan before play resumed. You can watch the video here.
Granderson told Marc Carig of New York Newsday that he had a simple message for the fan:
“He touched me,” Granderson said. “Then I turned around and he’s like, ‘I didn’t mean to.’ I said, ‘Hey, just don’t touch me.’ So that was it. Say whatever you want to say, boo, cheer, clap, cheer for your team, cheer for the other team. But just don’t physically touch players.”
This is what happens when people forget that baseball players are actual human beings who, much like you and me, don’t like having their personal space violated. Fortunately this didn’t escalate into a more serious situation.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)