Apr 12, 2014, 12:20 PM EST
It was obvious something was amiss when Edward Mujica — not Uehara — warmed up in the bullpen in the top of the ninth inning last night and ended up closing out a victory over the Yankees. Uehara told reporters after the game that he felt tightness in his shoulder during pregame activities.
“Just tightness before the game playing catch,” Uehara said through an interpreter. “It’s difficult to explain, but just tightness. Two years ago, when I was with Texas, I felt the same kind of tightness.”
Uehara ended up missing two months with a lat strain in 2012, so the Red Sox aren’t going to take any chances here. The plan calls for him to test his shoulder by long tossing tomorrow, but Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that he could return to Boston for an examination if the issue lingers. Mujica will continue to fill in at closer for now.
Uehara, 39, threw 88 innings last season between the regular season and the playoffs. His previous high in MLB was 66 2/3 innings during his first season stateside in 2009 as a member of the Orioles.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (250)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)