Apr 13, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
It’s going to be at least another month before right-hander Mat Latos is able to join the Reds’ rotation.
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon reports that Latos has been diagnosed with a flexor mass strain in his elbow and will be shut down for 10-14 days. When he does resume his throwing program, it will be almost like starting over from the beginning of spring training.
Latos opened the 2014 regular season on the disabled list because of February knee surgery. He had been aiming to make his debut around mid-April, but he felt discomfort in his forearm during a bullpen session on Friday afternoon and an MRI taken Saturday in Cincinnati revealed the flexor mass strain.
“It’s a setback in his recovery,” Reds skipper Bryan Price told MLB.com. “It’s more time off to let it recover, let it simmer down, get the inflammation out and start back up. We’ll keep working hard on staying in shape and doing all the other things that he’s capable of doing. His timetable will be pushed back fairly significantly.”
Latos, 26, posted a 3.16 ERA (121 ERA+) and 187 strikeouts across 210 2/3 innings last season.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (252)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)