Apr 14, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Excellent news for the Reds and really, all baseball fans, as Aroldis Chapman threw off the mound today for the first time since he was hit in the face by a line drive on March 19.
According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Chapman threw a total of 25 pitches. Reds manager Bryan Price was among those in attendance and he was pleased with what he saw from the hard-throwing left-hander.
“He threw the ball outstanding,” Price said. “He threw all of his pitches, including his slider. He was sharp, extremely enthusiastic and happy to be out there as we all were. It was exciting.”
Chapman suffered fractures above his left eye and nose as a result of the comebacker and required surgery to have a plate inserted in his forehead. He’ll need to make it through multiple bullpen sessions before facing live hitters and the Reds will give him an option to pitch behind a screen when he’s ready to do that. The Reds aren’t going to rush him back into action, but things are looking up for him to contribute in the near future.
Jonathan Broxton was activated from the disabled list last week and is expected to serve as Cincinnati’s closer until Chapman is ready to return.
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)