Apr 14, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Whenever race comes up around here there are always people who like to talk about how racism doesn’t exist anymore and they don’t see color and stuff like that. About how people who bring up racism are the real racists. Or at least the people who are actually obsessed with race.
They’re cute in their own twisted way.
I’m curious to see their response to this story by former major leaguer Doug Glanville. He was shoveling his own driveway in his upscale Hartford, Connecticut neighborhood when a police officer — from a different jurisdiction, actually — came up to him and assumed he was some itinerant jobber trying to make a few bucks by annoying white people into allowing him to shovel their driveways.
As Glanville explains, he is trying to use the experience as a teachable moment. But as he also makes clear: this isn’t some freakishly rare thing. And even though he himself was not substantially harmed by the incident in the eyes of most people, it does not make it a harmless incident.
But please, if you do wish to continue on with the notion that racism is something that died in 1964, by all means, explain how this fits in with your world view.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)