Apr 15, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
When I lived in Washington D.C. there was a team in Montreal and no team in the District, so seeing and hearing about the Orioles around town wasn’t a big deal. Apparently that’s changed a bit in the past decade. To the point where the Orioles putting up a billboard in Washington has ruffled some feathers. JP Finlay of CSNWashington.com has a report on that and on fan reaction.
The last time we heard of this kind of kerfuffle it was in Los Angeles when the Angels were seen putting up billboards in L.A. proper, and it was seen by many as a symbol for the waning influence of the Dodgers under Frank McCourt and the ascendance of the boys from Anaheim. Personally, I think that reads too much into that or any similar situation.
The reality: billboards are cheap advertising.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)