Apr 16, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks lost another game to the Mets on Wednesday afternoon and are now 4-14 on the season with by far the worst run differential (-48) in the major leagues. Diamondbacks manger Kirk Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers were both given contract extensions this spring, but the club had fairly high expectations heading into the 2014 regular season so it’s fair to wonder whether one of those two (or both) might be on the hot seat.
Wonder no more, friends. At least for a little while.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman spoke to D’Backs president Derrick Hall on Wednesday and asked him where Gibson and Towers stand after such a dreadful start. “It’s far too early to say they’re in jeopardy,” Hall said. “I wouldn’t say anybody’s in trouble at this point. … Right now you can’t place blame on any one person.”
We’ll see if that tune changes if the club’s on-field performance does not improve. The Diamondbacks have a 6.14 staff ERA — highest in the majors — and top pitching prospect Archie Bradley remains in the minors.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (239)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)