Apr 16, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Here’s an old chestnut about baseball and race from the bad old days:
“This team has too many Latinos on it to win,” mused the old scout beside me. “Get too many of them together on a club and they take over. The club divides, has no sense of itself. They might not be terrible. I mean, them boys can play, but they ain’t gonna win no championship. They’re too emotional to go the distance. “No, no”—he shook his head—“I ain’t seen no team with this many Latinos in the lineup win.”
Oh, wait. That’s not from the bad old days. That’s from 2013 and it’s a Blue Jays scout talking about the 2013 Toronto Blue Jays.
That’s passed along by Dirk Hayhurst, who was covering the Jays last year. And he uses that anecdote to do what he does best: tell us about how baseball players, coaches, scouts and executives think and feel behind the scenes when they’re not Saying The Right Things to reporters. This time, about race.
A lot of you get sick of hearing about race in baseball. I assume a lot of that is because you feel like it’s an old topic without any currency in today’s game. As Hayhurst explains in his excellent article, you couldn’t be more wrong.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 28
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)