Apr 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Aroldis Chapman‘s recovery from facial fractures has progressed to the point that the Reds left-hander has been cleared to throw live batting practice, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
His expected return date has always been pegged as mid-May, but it’s possible Chapman might be somewhat ahead of that schedule one day short of a month since he was hit by a line drive. Either way, it’s good news.
Chapman threw a 25-pitch bullpen session earlier this week, but obviously given the nature of his injury actually facing live hitters is potentially a very big hurdle to clear next. Cincinnati’s bullpen has struggled in his absence, posting a 5.18 ERA that ranks second worst in the league ahead of only Philadelphia.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)