Apr 18, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli reports that Orioles third baseman Manny Machado could begin a rehab assignment next week. And Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun writes that Machado will play third base in an extended spring training game on Saturday. It’s great news for the Orioles, who have been without their star third baseman but may soon see his return as soon as early May.
In recent days, Machado has batted in simulated games, done wind sprints, and ran the bases — all necessary steps for Machado, who ruptured his left medial patellofemoral ligament last September.
In Machado’s absence, the Orioles have relied on 22-year-old prospect Jonathan Schoop at third base. Schoop, however, has struggled at the dish, entering Friday night’s action with a .244/.244/.415 line. Ryan Flaherty has also started a few games at the hot corner, but has produced a paltry .469 OPS.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)