Apr 18, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli reports that Orioles third baseman Manny Machado could begin a rehab assignment next week. And Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun writes that Machado will play third base in an extended spring training game on Saturday. It’s great news for the Orioles, who have been without their star third baseman but may soon see his return as soon as early May.
In recent days, Machado has batted in simulated games, done wind sprints, and ran the bases — all necessary steps for Machado, who ruptured his left medial patellofemoral ligament last September.
In Machado’s absence, the Orioles have relied on 22-year-old prospect Jonathan Schoop at third base. Schoop, however, has struggled at the dish, entering Friday night’s action with a .244/.244/.415 line. Ryan Flaherty has also started a few games at the hot corner, but has produced a paltry .469 OPS.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday evening MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)