Apr 18, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Update (9:47 PM): The Braves tacked on four runs of support after Harang was told he wasn’t coming back out for the eighth inning to complete his no-hitter. Lefty Luis Avilan replaced Harang in the bottom half of the eighth and retired the first two Mets hitters he faced, but surrendered a two-out single to David Wright, ending the no-hit bid. Avilan struck out Curtis Granderson to end the inning.
Braves starter Aaron Harang no-hit the Mets through seven innings in New York, kicking off the first of a three-game series. The tall, 35-year-old right-hander issued six walks, but the Mets otherwise weren’t able to get anything going offensively. Harang threw 121 pitches, so manager Fredi Gonzalez asked his bullpen to finish off the no-hitter for the veteran.
Chris Johnson gave Harang a bit of run support in the second inning with an RBI double. The Braves tacked on four more runs in the top of the eighth inning on a Freddie Freeman two-run home run, a throwing error by Travis d’Arnaud after Dan Uggla doubled, and an RBI double by Jordan Schafer.
Harang brought a no-hitter into the seventh inning in his Braves debut on April 2 against the Brewers. He’s been solid to start the season, entering the night with a 0.96 ERA over 18 2/3 innings in three starts. He lowered it to 0.70 ERA with his seven scoreless innings against the Mets.
The last Braves pitcher to toss a no-hitter was Kent Mercker on April 8, 1994. The last time the Mets were no-hit was on September 8, 1993 when Darryl Kile of the Astros accomplished the feat.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)