Apr 18, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
Update: Per the Pirates official Twitter, the Mets have received right-handed pitcher Zack Thornton and a player to be named later. Thornton, 25, was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis for the first time last season. There he finished with a 3.91 ERA in 25 1/3 innings, along with 31 strikeouts and four walks. To begin 2014, Thornton has a 1.23 ERA with eight strikeouts and one walk in 7 1/3 innings.
The Mets had a surplus at first base with Davis along with Lucas Duda and Josh Satin. Now that Davis is gone, Duda and Satin will split the time at first base depending on the handedness of the opposing starting pitcher. The Pirates were in need of a first baseman as they had been relying on Travis Ishikawa and Gaby Sanchez. Davis will displace Ishikawa, who has not been hitting well, and share time with the right-handed-hitting Sanchez, who has been performing well.
Davis made headlines last season after he started the year off so poorly that the Mets demoted him to Triple-A Las Vegas. Working with manager Wally Backman, Davis made some adjustments and came back much more productive, though his power didn’t come back the way they had hoped. Davis is carrying a .742 OPS as he joins the Pirates.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)