Apr 19, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Yankees left-hander Cesar Cabral had an eventful Friday night. And not in a good way.
Cabral faced six batters in the bottom of the eighth inning against the Rays last night and failed to retire any of them. After replacing Adam Warren, he gave up a single to Ben Zobrist before throwing a wild pitch and giving up an RBI single to Brandon Guyer. He then Evan Longoria and James Loney before serving up a two-run single to Wil Myers. Finally, he hit Logan Forsythe in the back with a pitch before being ejected by home plate umpire Joe West. Yes, he hit three batters in one inning.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi came out to defend his player, which makes sense since it was clear Cabral wasn’t throwing at anybody intentionally. But he was all over the place and could have hurt someone if he was allowed to continue. The Yankees ended up having to use Shawn Kelley despite being down six runs, so you can understand Girardi’s frustration with the situation, but West did the right thing here.
If Cabral’s performance and ejection wasn’t bad enough, he was designated for assignment by the Yankees after the game. Matt Daley, a 31-year-old right-hander, has been called up to take his place on the active roster.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)