Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Mike Trout has achieved a lot for someone who has had only two full seasons in the Major Leagues. He’s led the league in runs twice, and led once each in stolen bases and walks while lapping his competition in terms of WAR. But on Saturday afternoon against the Tigers, Trout achieved something he had never done in 352 career games.
He struck out four times, earning the golden sombrero. Tigers starter Max Scherzer struck out Trout three times and closer Joe Nathan notched the fourth in the top of the ninth. Entering the afternoon, Trout had struck out thrice in a single game 15 times, accounting for a paltry 4.3 percent of his games played.
Tigers manager Brad Ausmus isn’t going to get excited about it:
Ausmus on 4-K’ing Trout: “Even the greatest hitters have those days. Yesterday Mike Trout got us, so I’m not going to throw a party.”
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) April 19, 2014
With the 0-for-4 performance, Trout lost his AL lead in OPS, sliding behind Alexei Ramirez, 1.044 to 1.019. Trout, however, still leads the league in slugging percentage, .639 to Ramirez’s .621.
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)